Dota 2 is one of the greatest and oldest games of all time! Dota 2 is known to be one of the biggest games in esports with one of the biggest prize pools in the history. During “The International” tournament, Dota 2 had a prize pool of $25.7 million. This makes Dota 2 an attractive option for new and pro esports betters.
The nature of Dota 2 betting is simple, you place your bets on various outcomes of the game and if the event resolves how you’ve predicted, you will receive your money multiplied by the odds of the game. This guide will outline everything you need to know about esports betting and will take you through placing your first bet.
Odds can vary based on many factors, including the event that is happening, how big or small it is and will largely depend on the esports bookmaker. Bookmakers will decide on the odds based on the number of players betting, previous history of the teams and players.
There are many ways you can gamble with Dota 2, including the traditional betting where you bet on a certain event of the game, you can trade and gamble cosmetic items such as skins and open Dota 2 cases to test your luck!
There are dedicated Dota 2 betting sites out there that will let you bet on competitive eSports matches using real money, cryptocurrency, or in-game items such as virtual currency. These sites will display the odds of winning and act as a broker for Dota 2 wagers.
Comparing different Dota 2 betting sites is important because they offer different features, incentives, and chances of success. Here are some of the biggest reasons to go to betting sites:
Sites can sometimes offer bonuses like deposit bonuses, new user bonuses, and cashback bonuses depending on their policy.
Popular sites will have bigger prize pools as well as a built-up reputation.
Sites offer different betting types that will focus on things like match outcome, event outcome, tournament outcome, or in-game stats like player score, kills, etc.
More people betting on a site means that the betting pool will be larger, but it also decreases the chances of winning compared to when there are fewer people.
eSports focused sites will only offer eSports betting while other sites might offer betting on traditional sports as well.
The only big difference between eSports betting sites and traditional sports betting is how odds are calculated. eSports will use experts from the gaming industry while traditional sports use sports analysts.
Dota 2 betting bonuses are rewards given by betting sites in the form of cash back, bonus money, and much more. They’re given to users to encourage more betting and add incentive for loyal customers.
Bonuses are important to Dota 2 gambling because they help you increase your winnings as much as possible.
- Percent Bonus: A percent bonus gives you a percentage of your deposit back as a bonus, typically 25% to 200%.
- No Deposit Bonus: A no deposit bonus is when a site gives you extra money before making a deposit.
- New Users Bonus: New user bonus is given to those that have just signed up for the site. This can be a small amount of money or a discount on the first bet.
- Old Users Bonus: Loyal users are given an old users bonus for sticking with the site for so long. This is usually in the form of credit that can be used towards a bet.
- First Bet: Some sites will give you an amount of money for placing your first bet.
You can bet on Dota 2 matches using real money through different payment methods depending on the betting site. You can usually receive great bonuses for using real money to bet on games.
If you’re unsure about putting real money down for betting, then you can use practice accounts. These allow you to start looking at how gambling works and what the process is like before investing money into it.
Aside from real money you can also use in-game items to bet with. You can use things like skins or other items as a virtual currency on betting sites.
Another way of betting on the game is through case openings. You can open cases you’ve received in the game for a chance to win high ticket in-game items.
You can place your Dota 2 bets on various outcomes of the game, as well as you can bet on different events that you believe will happen during the battle. Below we explain all the Dota 2 betting markets available.
- Match Winner – You place a bet on the winner of the Dota 2 match.
- First Blood – You place a bet on who you believe will make the first ingame kill.
- First team to get 10 kills – You place your bets on the team that will achieve the first 10 kills
- Most Kills – You place your bets on the team that will have the most kills at the end of the match.
- Team to destroy the first tower – You place your bets on the team that will destroy the first tower.
- Total kills scored – You place your bets on the team that will have the largest number of kills at the end of the match.
- Tournament Winner -You place your bet on who you believe will be the tournament winner!
If you don’t want to risk losing money right away then you can try a practice account for betting purposes. These accounts are popular among new users which help them get familiarity with the betting process.
Practice accounts are demo accounts that let you bet as you normally would but don’t take any deposit or return any rewards.
These accounts are good because they let the user understand how betting works before they pour their time and money in. But these accounts can be bad for setting unrealistic expectations and outcomes.
Not every provider will offer these accounts as a feature. However, a lot of the major betting providers will include these with their service.
Skin betting is where you place your cosmetic items such as skins as your bet instead of real money. Due to a high number of scam websites, this method is considered to be the least popular and is unsafe. This is because there is no way to control where and who receives the skin after you place them as a bet. Because of this, we’re not reviewing any of the skin betting sites, or advising you to use them.
Alternatively, if you’re looking to try your luck, there is a new uprising of VGO V2 sites where you can use cryptocurrencies to trade cosmetic items. VGO sites use cryptocurrencies as tokens for virtual skins and other cosmetic items. These items are not real but can be used to trade and gamble to earn more items.
If you simply want to get more skins, you can use skins trading systems to acquire new cosmetic goods. These sites usually operate by bots, people or communities. The process is simple:
- You sign up with the esports trading provider using your steam account.
- Insert the items you want to trade (these can be from multiple games).
- Select what you want in return.
Dota 2 trading sites can be run by bots, where items are automatically traded based on pre-set settings or by players, where you negotiate what you want for the items you offer.
Case opening is a way of gambling in Dota 2. You purchase keys to open cases and have a chance to acquire a rare item inside.
Cases come in different tiers/categories based on the trading site you use. Cases are priced on how rare they are, how much they cost to open, and what their demand is. The demand for the items inside the case can also affect their price. Usually, the more expensive the case is, the more chances you have to acquire a rare loot.
Cases contain a number of items, ranging from super rare to very common items, making it a great option for those who like a bit of adrenaline.
You can transfer the items from an opened case to any Steam account. You do have to wait for a 7-day cool down period, though.
The items you acquire can be traded on the steam market or on the esports trading sites. This way if you’re unhappy with what you’ve acquired, you can try and trade it for something else from other players.
Odds in Dota 2 betting refer to the chance of winning or losing in a gambling scenario. It’s a number that represents how likely it is for a team to win. It also helps you understand how much money you will win based on your betting amount.
Odds are calculated using a complicated method that involves comparing different statistics. The previous performance for each team is considered and then calculated using statistics and probability formulas.
For example, if a betting provider wants to calculate the odds for Fnatic, they will look at past matches, roster changes, wins & losses, consistency, and other factors to draw up odds using probability.
Each betting provider has a different method of calculating their odds. They can take different factors into effect or use different techniques. This is why odds can be different for different providers.
When betting on Dota 2, you need to understand the difference between betting methods available. Dota 2 bets can be placed before the game or during the game (in-game bets). Different esports bookies will offer different types of bets you can place. You should always look for these options when choosing your esports bookmaker.
Money line bets are bets placed on the outcome of a team vs. team matchup. The odds for this type of bet are calculated on team strength. They’re the most simple and common types of bets.
These bets focus on the overall outcome of a team. This can involve winning the tournament or making it to the finals.
Accumulator bets are a collection of smaller bets grouped together. In these bets, winners will have their odds multiplied to get a bigger reward.
Special bets are focused on the win/loss of specific events. Examples include total score, map winner, and number of kills. These bets can be a bit difficult for a new user to grasp.
These bets are placed only when the match has begun. They’re similar to special bets in which bets are made on specific outcomes of events. You can bet on things like player scores or kills at the end of the match.
Betting can be a risky business that involves chance and probability with a possibility of losing your money. Another major risk is running into scams and fraud. It’s important to remember that some sites and providers can scam you out of your money or give you a smaller payout than promised.
How to protect yourself from fraud?
Stay Informed: Make sure you know everything related to betting before you decide to put your money down. Learn all there is to the process, the types of gambling, and how odds work.
Practice: Before you use any real money, make sure to try practice accounts. These will get you used to the ins and outs of betting before you get started.
Research Providers: Not all providers are honest. Some can have a history of scamming or fraud. It’s important to read up opinions about providers on social media and do some research before you sign up.
How to identify and avoid scams?
- Read their reviews on our website. We’ve made a comprehensive list of all the most trusted providers.
- Look at their past reputation
- Watch out for bold claims and guaranteed outcomes
- Aggressive marketing and ad-spamming
- Offering bonuses that sound too good to be true
- Shady rules and conditions
When betting on an eSports game, it’s crucial to pick the right team. If you plan on winning the bet, you have to know a team that stacks up against the rest. You have to know what players are on the team and how they perform as well as what their past performance statistics look like.
- Vici Gaming
- Team Liquid
- Team Secret
- Evil Geniuses
- Find the Teams You Like: Find a team that you think has the kind of gameplay you enjoy. It’ll be helpful for finding consistent teams and also make betting more enjoyable.
- Past Performance: Look at the team’s previous wins and losses to see what were the reasons for bad performance. This can help you find out if the team performs well and if there’s something to look out for.
- Watch Matches: Watching matches will give you the ground reality of what a Dota 2 match actually looks like. It will also be useful in making team performance more familiar with yourself.
- Watch Tournaments: Tournaments help you figure out how a particular team performs against top players from around the world and what outcomes can arise from matchups.
- Chances and Rates of Losing: A win/loss ratio is great at finding out how consistent a team is in its performance.
- Each Team Has A Chance to Lose No Matter How Good It Might Be: Keep in mind that all teams have a chance to lose and that it can be useful to know the circumstances in which your team usually ends up losing.
- Hands-on Practice: Playing the game yourself and learning how the mechanics work is critical. It helps you understand which players and teams use the best strategies and mechanics to their advantage.
- Attempt to Play Fantasy Leagues: Fantasy leagues help you get used to the idea of pitting top players against each other in a matchup. You can drastically improve your knowledge of roster changes with this method.
- Use Tools To Help You Make The Decision: Use odds in our tables to guide your decision. We aggregate odds from multiple Dota 2 betting providers and display only the best ones so you know exactly where to place your bet.
- Read Online What Others Are Thinking: You can find helpful tips and advice from other people online that will help you pick good teams.
If you’re planning on getting into Dota 2 betting, then it can be important to keep up with eSports news as well as all the up-to-date information from the developer.
Following Dota 2 news is important for knowing if a team has lost its players or has had problems that can affect their performance as well as changes in the game’s mechanics.
- Find the Best Betting Provider: Different providers will offer different levels of service with specific bonuses, rewards, and rules. Make sure you have a provider that works well for your needs. Read reviews and opinions online to find out if they are trustworthy and reliable.
- Sign Up: The next step is to sign up for the site. You can follow the links in the table for the site you want to sign up for. Certain sites will even give you a nice little bonus for joining.
- Deposit and Play: Once you’ve signed up, you can deposit your money and start playing. You can claim you bonus and begin making bets. When you win, you can simply cash out and enjoy your earnings.
- You Will Win Some Money and You Will Lose Some Money: Gambling almost never has a guaranteed outcome. That’s why it’s important to not get hung up on wins and losses. Instead, focus on what works and what doesn’t to move forward.
- Research the Top Teams: If you’re planning on betting on teams, you need to know how they perform. Some teams can be good for betting on certain markets but not others. You can only make a clever bet if you understand each team’s strengths and weaknesses.
- Research and Follow Top Players: Even within a team, players carry their own strengths and weakness that can affect the overall performance of their team. Certain players may be good for a particular task or they may perform better on a certain map and side. It’s crucial to take these kinds of things in mind when betting.
- Watch eSport Games and Tournaments: Watching games is extremely important when it comes to gambling. It can help you understand how the game works outside of just looking at odds and percentages.
- Try to Make Your Own Odds and Compare to the Ones Provider Gives: Making your own odds not only helps you understand more about the betting process but it also helps to find out if the provider has calculated their odds properly.
- Understand Risk vs Reward: Gambling on anything is always a balancing act of risk and reward. You can put down low risks but you get low rewards in return. Similarly, you can get high rewards at the cost of high risks. It’s important to understand these factors when going into eSports betting.
- Learn to Set Your Betting Budget: Setting your betting budget is a good first step towards betting. Spending blindly can lead to betting all your savings and running out of money. An ideal starting budget can be something that you’re comfortable losing that will also give you decent rewards.
- Don’t Be Afraid Of Using Several Different Dota 2 Betting Sites: Different sites have different rules, payouts, bonuses, and prize pools. It can be worth it to explore all your options so that you can find the ones you like.
- Use Social Media Such as Reddit And Facebook to Find All the Info You Can: Social media like Reddit and Facebook is really useful for finding personal opinions and predictions on games, tournaments, and teams.
- Take Bookies Advice with a Pinch of Salt: You shouldn’t blindly trust every bookie you see. Some are less honest about their predictions or promises than others. You should always understand what a bookie stands to gain before taking their advice to heart.