League of Legends or LoL is a MOBA (Multiplayer online battle arena) game developed by Riot Games for Microsoft Windows and macOS. It follows a similar principle to Dota 2 and is as competitive as CSGO and other major esports titles. The game is free to play with a selection of in-game microtransactions.
Loading Esports Matches
League of Legends is a team game above all. With game evolution, there is not more solo carry, no more victorious solo gangers, LoL is truly a team MOBA where every team is as strong as its weakest link. League attracted so many streamers and players around the globe because it combines real-time strategy and contains over 150 champions.
Each champion has a set of unique abilities, stats, emotes and skins. This makes no game the same. Every esports pro player has put a lot of time in training and practising with favourite characters. Every team consists of five players and is played on Summoners Rift map, which splits into three lanes. Each lane is controlled by dedicated champions.
The most experienced players tend to be Mid Laners and Junglers. These players sway around the map to assist other players. With each kill, players acquire gold and distribute it based on their needs. Gold can purchase main items and secondary gear such as amulets. Teams that have world-class Mid Laners and Junglers win the most world-class titles compared to teams that play around Bottom and Top lanes.
Each team is made up of 5 players, each with own responsibility:
- AD Carry (ADC) - is the one to deal the most damage. AD Carry usually positioned in the bottom lane. ADC’s spend a lot of time farming minions, levelling up and buying new items to grow stronger towards the end of the game.
- Support - is responsible for protecting and supporting the AD Carry.
- Jungler - roams in between the lanes and collects the experience to level up quicker than the enemies.
- Tank or bruiser - is responsible for the crowd control due to its high damage and/or high tolerance to damage. Tanks usually take the top lane.
- APC - is similar to above but with magic power. APCs usually take the middle lane for ranged damage.
League of Legends games last from 20 to 50 minutes each, but competitive matches can last even longer. The objective of the game is simple, to destroy the enemies base guarded by the towers.
A term “Meta” is often encountered by spectators and bettors, which means “within”. It implies that there is a game within the game, most “optimal” way to play and win. Professional esports teams are constantly on the lookout for new strategies to keep the competitive edge. Top teams with the best “meta” tend to take first places in all the tournaments.
League of Legends competitions come in seasons called “Splits”. One split is in the spring, the second split is in the summer. You will often find that no matter who dominates the first split, it can change radically in the summer. If you're an avid esports watcher, competitive player or enjoy esports gambling. Make sure you pay attention to analysts to understand how teams are operating. Make sure you understand what games have been won and lost to conclude. This is known as examining the “strength of schedule”.
League of Legends comes with a few actions packed maps/game modes. There are classic modes and dominion.
In the classic maps, the aim is to destroy the enemies base, called Nexus. Each nexus is protected by several towers (turrets) and inhibitors. Turrets need to be destroyed by champions or minions to advance to the base. There are three main maps in the category:
- Summoner’s Rift (5v5) - It's one of the first, most commonly plaid maps. It is usually played in competitive LoL tournaments. The map has three lanes and each lane is handled by its dedicated champion explained above. Summoners Rift contains two stronger monsters that will grant you a buff upon killing.
- Twisted Treeline (3v3) - It's a two-lane map feature faster-paced 3v3 battles. This map hosts a few neutral camps and two altars that buff up players who capture them. Due to the fast-paced gameplay, bruisers tend to perform the best in Twisted Treeline.
- The Proving Grounds/The Howling Abyss - This map contains a single lane. It’s only available in custom games and is played as an ARAM (all random, all mid) map. The Hollow Abyss is a new skin for the map that is being released by Riot Games.
There is another gameplay mode, Dominion. It has one map “The Crystal Scar” and is plaid 5v5. Its game mode is fast-paced, 15-20 mins long. The main objective of this game mode is to capture and hold positions. Similar to FPS capture the flag.
Currently LoL ranking system is:
And these are the divisions in the League of Legends.
League of Legends ranks have 4 divisions each, where each division starts at four and ends at one.