How to Log Out of League of Legends
LoL is Stuck? You're Not Alone
Have you ever wondered how to log out of League of Legends? Click the X button at the top right corner, followed by ‘Sign Out’ to log out of the League of Legends game.
Logging out of the League of Legends game is very important, especially if you log in from a public computer such as the internet or a school café.
As a long-time fan of League of Legends, friends and fellow gamers often ask me how to log out of the game. In my experience, navigating League of Legends is fairly straightforward, but locating the logout button, especially as a new summoner can be a bit tricky. In addition, many LoL players who took a break from the game also returned to the new client with revamped buttons, which can be confusing.
You are not alone!
I am breaking down how to log out of League of Legends, explaining why this is an important step, and answering some FAQs in this post.
How to Log Out of LoL Account
With over 180 million players worldwide, League of Legends is among the top multiplayer online battle arena video game. Although a huge chunk of the LoL players log in through the game’s website and play directly from it, an equal number of players also play through the League of Legends app, also called the client.
The steps to log out of the League of Legends website and client are different, explained below.
Steps to sign out of the League of Legends website
If you log in to your LoL account from a public or shared device, chances are you are on the game’s website. Here’s how to log out.
- Locate your LoL summoner name at the top right corner and click on it to reveal a drop-down box with three options – game download, settings, and logout.
- Choose the logout option, and your League of Legends account is logged out from the website.
Steps to log out from the League of Legends client
If you are logged in to League of Legends through the dedicated app downloaded into the device, then you are playing through the LoL client, and the process to log out of your account is different.
There are two methods to log out of the LoL client:
Method 1 - From within the game
- Access the League of Legends client from your PC
- Locate the X button next to the restore and minimize buttons, above your summoner name and click on it.
- You will get two options – Exit and Sign Out.
- Select 'Exit' to log out of your League of Legends account and close the game's app/client.
- Choose 'Sign out' to log out of your LoL account but keep the app/client still running.
- The League of Legends client will prompt for your password, depending on the location. After you enter your LoL password, your account will be logged out of the client.
If you checked the 'stay logged in' box when you signed in to your account, choosing the 'Exit' option will close the LoL client but not log out. In this case, you need to choose the 'Sign Out' option.
This quick video to log out of LoL client is a must watch:
Method 2 - Using task manager
If you're dealing with a slow server while attempting to log out of League of Legends, chances are you will get an error message and won't be able to log out of the account. In this case, you can use the Task Manager function.
Below are the steps.
- Keep the League of Legends client running and press ALT+CTRL+DEL simultaneously on the keyboard.
- When a new dialogue box appears, choose Task Manager to see currently running apps.
- Locate League of Legends and click to reveal options.
- Finally, choose End Task to close the League of Legends client.
Last resort to log out of League of Legends - Restart your machine
If the above methods are to log out of your LoL account, a hard reset or restarting your device is an alternative. To perform a restart:
- Press the ALT+F4 keys.
- Next, choose the restart option when the new window appears
Restarting your device/PC will log you out of the League of Legends client and other apps you might have running at the time. However, powering off your device or performing a hard reset to log out of your LoL account should only be a last resort, as it can damage the files and the system's hardware.
Final thoughts on how to log out of League of Legends
Logging out of the LoL website and the client is a bit different, but this guide should give you a headstart. Look for the X button if playing on the client and your summoner name and if playing on the LoL website; choose the logout/exit/sign out buttons, depending on your requirements, and your account will be logged out.
Ready to log out of your League of Legends account? Try out the steps above.
Why is logging out of League of Legends important?
There are many pitfalls of not logging out of League of Legends, especially while using a shared or a public device. These include:
- Misuse of personal data and information
- Identity theft and impersonation
- Misuse of the currency
- Potential to get your account banned
Even on a personal computer, logging out of LoL after you finish the game is important, as keeping the game running is hard on the RAM, causing a drop in the FPS. In addition to logging out, upgrading your device can also prevent FPS drops.
Below is a comparison table of LoL with gaming setups
|Intel Core i7-7600U
|Intel HD Graphics 620
|Intel Core i5-10400F
|NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER
|Intel Core i7-9700K
|NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
Can I have more than one League of Legends account?
Yes, You can have more than one LoL account.
Riot games have no objections to players with more than one account on League of Legends. Multiple LoL accounts are common among several players worldwide, including the top players.
Can I change my LoL account?
Yes, to change your LoL account:
- Visit https://update-account.riotgames.com/ from a browser of your choice.
- Next, click the red arrow and follow the screen instructions.
- Enter your new LoL user name when prompted and save it.
More League of Legends Guides
Artiom is the founder and editor of EsportsLounge, a leading esports content website covering everything from esports betting to the latest esports news. With a passion for gaming that extends beyond his professional work, Artiom loves playing popular games such as CSGO, LoL and Dota 2 in his spare time. With five years of experience in the gaming and betting industries, Artiom has developed a deep understanding of the world of esports and is dedicated to bringing his readers the most informative and engaging content possible. When he's not busy covering the latest esports trends, Artiom can often be found indulging in his favorite game, Final Fantasy.